The American Public Works Association (APWA) Executive Committee (EC) was formally established on January 1, 1937, through the merger of the American Society of Municipal Engineers (ASME) and the International Association of Public Works Officials (IAPWO). The records show that the first individual from Minnesota to be registered in one of the predecessor organizations was George Shepard in 1924.
As the years passed, more people were joining the various national organizations and, by 1944, there was an interest in organizing a group of individuals from Minnesota. This group organized as the Public Works Section of the League of Municipalities (PWS - LM). As this newly established group met during League of Municipalities annual meetings, it became apparent that they could better benefit as an organization through formal involvement in the recently created APWA.
In 1946, at the League of Municipalities meeting in Brainerd, the Public Works Group submitted an application to the national office of APWA. In the fall of 1946, at the national APWA Congress in Ft. Worth, Texas, the APWA ExecutiveBoard approved the application and the Minnesota Chapter officially became a State Chapter of APWA. The first officers were: President Frank McKellip, Faribault; Vice-President Phillip Smith, Edina; Secretary/Treasurer W M Somero, Ely.
Thank you for being a part of our history.
June 17, 2013
June 3, 2013
May 31, 2013